Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Super Bowl Monday

Being the great patriot I am, I stayed up irresponsibly late on a school night in order to watch real football.  Here in Berlin the Super Bowl didn't start until 12:29 am on Monday February 7th.

I arrived at Belushi's at 11:30 and the place was already packed (this is one of the few sports bars in Mitte that stayed open for this American sporting event).  I knew exactly which part of the bar to attack, I got my beverage promptly, and was able to take a seat on the stairs (the only floor space left at that point).  I made friends with the Americans sitting next to me and gave high fives to the German's across the way who were also rooting for the Packers.

The hairs rose on the back of my neck with the start of the national anthem, but were then abruptly calmed with Christina Aguilera's fail.  Then the first commercial break started...it was about soccer.  Immediately I knew this wasn't what Americans were watching (I had almost forgot I was in Europe).  But the Super Bowl isn't all about capitalism (wishful thinking), it's about putting the ball in the end-zone.

The next thing I know the Black Eyed Peas are making me hate music.  The half-time show was like a K-Mart version of the opening ceremony in Bejing.  I ended up staying for the entire game and didn't get back into my bed until 6 am.  It was worth it.  I really enjoyed the Berlin enthusiasm and a slice of life back home.  I hope everyone was able to enjoy this great day of football as much I did.

No comments:

Post a Comment