Saturday, January 29, 2011

Jurgen! (Nerd!)

Bunsen burners and lab coats!


This week my classmates and I are strapping on our lab coats and safety glasses.  I may say we look like a bunch of smart folks.  We have started taking a closer look at the ingredients of beer and I can't explain how cool it is to be a nerd...a beer nerd that is.

I have brewed many different beers, using all sorts of malt, hops and yeasts but I have never taken the time to stop and think about what I am actually doing.  As a brewer I was more focused on the day to day aspects of brewing, ie the weight of malt being used in the mash, what hops need to be added to the boil, what tanks needed to be cleaned, etc. Now that I am student again I have been given the great opportunity to stand back and really understand every detail of  brewing.  There are so many different aspects to this trade that I have taken for granted.
Champagne Yeast

Microbiology is probably the most challenging and aw-inspiring class we are taking right now.  In lab this week we made slides of varying types of yeasts.  I was dumbfounded looking at these tiny unicellular organisms that make beer the wonderful thing that it is.  I found myself staring into the microscope and vocalizing my astonishment.  I was definitely getting some curious looks from the fella next to me.  I just thought it was so cool to see these living organisms and check out how they were doing.  It's great to spend a couple hours every week and actually look at our yeasty friends (yeasties always love it when I pay them a visit).

 So bring on the German jocks and meatheads.  I got my pocket protector for safety. I cut my waistband so they'll rip easier during an atomic wedgie and a swirlly might get all that grease out my hair.  Ja! I will embrace my inner nerd.  Jurgen!

No comments:

Post a Comment